Foundation Course in Group Facilitation (9451)
Who Should Attend?
Intersol’s Foundation Course in Group Facilitation is ideal for anyone who wants to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of meetings they lead or participate in.
These days, more and more of us are spending more and more of our time in meetings – sharing ideas, solving problems, making decisions and planning for action. But if you ask people about those meetings – how effective and efficient they are – the answers are often disappointing. Ask them for the chief causes of poor meetings, and they’ll probably complain about the time wasted:
- when meetings don’t start on time
- bringing latecomers up-to-date
- when the purpose of the meeting isn’t clear
- when there’s no agenda
- when people come with their own “hidden” agendas
- when people come unprepared
- when critical people don’t show up or cancel at the last minute
- when one or two individuals dominate the discussions
- when meetings go off track with discussion of unplanned topics
- when closed mindedness causes disruptive conflict
- when the Storytellers, the Nay-sayers and the Whiners take over
- when individuals build roadblocks in an effort to get their own way
- when meetings don’t end on time
This course will help you gain the confidence and ability to use a selection of proven facilitation processes and techniques. You’ll walk away able to design, lead and participate in more effective and efficient meetings that improve the quality of peoples’ participation and creativity.
Participation in this workshop will improve your confidence and ability to:
- Design and lead effective meetings, group planning sessions and other facilitated events
- Facilitate processes designed to analyse issues and problems, and make decisions
- Utilize a variety of processes and techniques to improve group productivity, creativity and participation
- Reduce the negative impacts of dysfunctional behaviours and participation problems
Topics include, but are not limited to:
Setting Meetings Up for Success
- the fundamentals of group facilitation
- creating the right atmosphere
- basic tools and techniques of facilitation
- facilitation and team effectiveness
- the dynamics of teams and groups
- the facilitator as a role model
- dealing with dysfunctional behaviours and participation problems
- brainstorming techniques
- issue analysis
- affinity diagram
- problem analysis
- decision making
- action research
What People Say about the Course
- An amazing course. The Facilitator’s Tool Box manual is now my “bible”
- This course has had huge impact in my work and personal life.
- This is one of the best courses I have ever taken
- This course as a milestone in my life. It’s made a tremendous impact on the way I interact with others
- The course was excellent, and your facilitation style is amazing. I framed your leadership poster, and it’s hanging in my office.
- The past three days were awesome!!!! I have never attended a course where the positive energy level and corresponding level of engagement has been so high.
- Thank you for what I consider to be the most worthwhile gift of knowledge I’ve received in my HR career to date.
- Yours is the only course I can recall attending that had a “receiving” line at the end of it to allow everyone to personally thank the instructor.
To find out more, please contact Victoria Cusson at 613-230-6424 ext 112 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Facilitators / Presenters
*convenience fee of 3.5% applies
Advanced Course in Group Facilitation – 3 days (10592)
Key Results (Program Logic Models, DRFs) for Performance Measurement and Evaluation – (10629)
Performance Indicators for Performance Measurement and Evaluation – (10630)
Facilitation Skills for Performance Measurement and Evaluation (10631)
How to be Clear and Compelling with Data (10632)