Organizational Change, Design and Development
Unlock your team and organizational potential. Free up the creative energy in your organisations and teams.
Have you been wondering how to take your organisation or team performance to the next level? Have you been contemplating why some of your change initiatives aren’t sticking, or why you haven’t been generating the outcomes expected? Maybe you’ve been giving a lot of focus to building your team and yet conflicts keep popping up and getting in the way of success?
Well, you’re not alone. Many leaders are scratching their heads and wondering how to truly build a highly engaged, high-performing organisation or team, one that generates sustained capacity to achieve outstanding results.
Intersol has the tools, methodologies and expertise to help you engage your managers and employees in building and sustaining a healthy and effective working environment. Our service areas include high performance organizations, organizational change and transition, and team development.
High Performance Organizations
What is a high performance organization? It is an organization whose structures, systems and processes are all aligned towards the achievement of clearly articulated goals and objectives. Members of the organization – employees and managers – know what they need to achieve and how they should go about achieving it, and are fully engaged in the organization’s success.
Here are some examples of how Intersol can work with you to help you create and sustain a high performance organization:
- Organizational Structure: We help you assess how well your current structure is adapted to your context and goals, and if necessary design a new, better adapted structure. By structure, we refer to the formal hierarchical relationships as well as the coordinating mechanisms, like teams and committees, that support horizontal integration across the organizational units.
- Organizational Systems and Processes: How are decisions made in your organization? How do you manage and communicate information? How do products flow through the system? Intersol helps you examine these questions, identify areas for improvement, and design solutions that increase your organizational resilience. One of our core offerings in this area is Lean
- Employee Engagement: This is what makes an organization really come alive and exceed expectations. We help our clients understand their own engagement drivers and dynamics, and develop and implement effective strategies to fully engage their employees.
- Board Development and Governance: We work with corporate boards to review their policies and governance practices, to ensure that they are fully not only meeting their fiduciary responsibilities, but also fully contributing to the organization’s strategic orientation, asking the right questions at the right time and in the right way to generate new insights and effective guidance to the organization.
Organizational Change and Transition
- Are you planning or implementing a change initiative, large or small, that will require people in your organization to think, act, or work in a new way?
- Are you undergoing or planning to undergo an organizational transformation?
- Are you encountering resistance as you try to implement changes in your organization?
- Do you want to learn how to better cope with multiple, constant changes and increase your team’s change competence and agility?
Intersol offers managers a structured approach to guiding organizations and employees through change to desired outcomes. Our approach
- improves change outcomes;
- increases the probability of success
- helps make the change more sustainable,
- improves the experience of employees going through the change, and
- builds change competence within the organization.
In short, we can support you in planning and managing change and transition in a way that creates lasting results. Our approach is research based, scalable, and customized; it takes a whole-system perspective and allows for knowledge and skills transfer.
Intersol’s Change Management Services
For the past 25 years, Intersol has offered a range of change management services to the public, private and non-profit sectors.
We offer the following change management consulting services:
- Impact and change readiness assessment
- Development of change management strategies
- Development of change management plans (communications, coaching, resistance, training, leadership)
- Design and facilitation of events to engage employees in change/transformation initiatives
- Advice on how best to manage resistance
- Evaluation of change management initiatives/effectiveness
- Change simulation facilitation
We offer training in:
- Leading Change and Transition for Managers
- Change and Transition for Employees
Intersol’s Change Management Model
Intersol’s model is an adaptable tool to assist managers in framing, planning, communicating and implementing their change initiatives.
Lead & Engage are driving forces that help launch a change effort and sustain it until your goals are achieved. These forces are the most vital ones to the success of your change management efforts. Employees & Stakeholders are at the centre of every change effort. They are both affected by the change, either directly or indirectly, and instrumental to its successful implementation. Their concerns and needs must be understood and continued engagement is crucial.
The change process can be split into three phases:
Phase 1 – Trigger the Change by understanding the need for change and preparing the organization for the effort. Assess Readiness by weighing the costs against the benefits, identifying potential sources of support and resistance and assessing the organization’s competence in managing change. Bring key employees and stakeholders in to Co-Develop Strategy that aligns with the values and mandate of the organization. Include a set of key performance indicators that will help you monitor your progress. Be sure to Secure the Resources you will require including people, budget, technology, leadership approval and sponsorship.
Phase 2 – Implement the Change effort, starting with a project plan just as you would for any major project. Provide Training as required to help employees and stakeholders develop required skills. Communicate regularly – providing information and soliciting input and feedback – to build and sustain commitment. Provide Support to employees and stakeholders as they adjust to a new way of doing things. Measure and record your progress along the way. Tie up loose ends, plan for successors, close down old systems, work out interim solutions and formalize operational changes as you Transition to the final phase.
Phase 3 – Sustain the Change over time, celebrating achievements and reinforcing new behaviours. Normalize the change by embedding it into procedures, systems and relationships. Use the feedback and data you have collected to Evaluate and learn from your change initiative. This insight will inform your team as you Refine processes and approaches and potentially prepare for another cycle of change.
In collaboration with the Telfer School of Management (University of Ottawa), Intersol conducted a study focusing on the particularities of change management in the public sector.
Intersol Change Management Model for the Public Sector
Intersol partnered with the Telfer School of Business to conduct a study focusing on the particularities of change management in the public sector and a “made for the public sector” change management model. The results are based on a review of over 20 change theories and their applicability to the public sector as well as focus groups and interviews with managers in the public service.
Research has shown that five elements combine in the public sector to create a unique set of challenges and resistance to change. They are politics, public scrutiny, diverse motivations, human resource and financial constraints, and high turnover in leadership. How vulnerable is the project to governmental Politics? How to manage the effects of Public Scrutiny and the knowledge that everything said and done can appear in the newspaper? How to leverage the Diverse Motivations of employees and stakeholders and the limited tools available to satisfy them? How to work within HR & Financial Constraints such as job classifications, procurement regulations and limited delegations of authority? How might High Turnover in Leadership affect sponsorship and support for the change, and what implications does this trend have the ability to deliver on longer-term projects?
These affect each change effort to varying degrees and must be kept in mind while developing a change approach and strategies. Intersol’s 25+ years of experience in this sector can help public sector managers tailor their approaches to create lasting results.
Whether you’re launching a new team, dealing with teamwork issues or conflict, or wanting to take your team to the next level, Intersol will help you pinpoint areas in which to focus your team development efforts, including:
- Alignment on Common Goals
- Clear Definition of Roles
- Efficient and Effective Processes
- Supportive Team Culture
- Positive External Connections
- Effective Collaboration Skills
Check out our Public and In-House Training opportunities.
Kathleen ConnellySenior Consultant and Facilitator | Consultante principale et facilitatrice
Roger GaudetSenior Consultant and Facilitator | Consultant principal et facilitator
Lise HebabiSenior Consultant and Facilitator | Consultante principale et facilitatrice
Alain RabeauSenior Consultant, Facilitator and Trainer | Expert-conseil principal, facilitateur et formateur
Marc ValoisSenior Consultant, Facilitator and Trainer | Expert-conseil principal, facilitateur et formateur